Crowdfunding has become a vital source of income for many people with the advent of the Internet. There are quite a few crowdfunding sites, like Kickstarter and Indiegogo, where users can fund creators’ works of art. Patreon gives artists a platform where they can get paid by the people that care the most about their art. There are plenty of tools for creators and many reasons for users to pledge their money. Patreon is the best crowdfunding site for artists because of these reasons and more.
The Creator’s Role
Creators have quite a bit of freedom when it comes to setting up their pages and campaigns. Each creator can set up multiple aspects of their campaign to cater to their specific audience.
- Intro video: The intro video explains why the creator has chosen Patreon as the platform for their art and what they hope to accomplish.
- Main Page: This includes any information the creator wants to include about themselves and their campaign.
- Tier rewards: These are rewards for users that change depending on how much money the user has decided to pledge. Tier’s typically begin at $1 and can stretch up to $100 and more. Users get rewards like sketches, Skype calls with creators, access to music files, and more.
- Patron-only posts: These are typically included in the first tier or for free. This is the main way for creators to communicate with backers.
The Patron’s Role
Supporters, called “patrons” on Patreon, are the real lifeblood of the best crowdfunding site. They keep the creators going through recurring monthly contributions. Patrons can sign up to give a set amount per month and cancel their donations any time they want. It gives creators a sense of stability that they wouldn’t otherwise have through other crowdfunding sites.
Some creators make a lot of money and even have up to 10,000 patrons pledging each month. YouTube channels are increasingly becoming funded by Patreon campaigns because of their usefulness. Worldwide estimates in 2015 put crowdfunding gross (across multiple websites) at$34 billion.
What Are Creators Making?
Creators have a lot of freedom when setting up their accounts; there are even some creators who create several types of art. There really isn’t a limit to what you can create as long as you get people to back your ideas.
Here are a few creators you should check out if you have the time:
- Extra Credits: This account focuses on releases videos about video games, history, and the process of content creation. Their videos are hand drawn and lighthearted in nature.
- Ross Tran: Also known as Ross Draws, this creator creates beautiful illustrations and videos about his artistic method.
- Crash Course: This account is dedicated to creating educational videos on a wide variety of topics. They create videos about history, philosophy, games, literature, and more.
- Nataly Dawn: Her husband is the CEO and co-founder of Patreon, but she’s not on this list because of her connections. Dawn is a fantastic musician in her own right. Check her out!
Maybe you’re trying to find the right platform to sell yourself as an artist. Perhaps Patreon is the platform you’ve been looking for and it’s finally time to launch your career! It’s the best crowdfunding site for artists trying out a new way to live.